Sunday, December 22, 2013

the futility of comparing products online (6/18/12)

revisting the futility of comparing products online

June 18, 2012 at 10:39am
I regularly forget how futile it can be to try to compare products online before buying - you may be missing the essentials... 

This time I was needing a small band saw.  There is a Harbor Freight store nearby, so I check the product reviews online.  Customer reaction is bi-modal:

a) "Cheap ones are junk, they don't work right." 
b) "Learn how to properly "set-up" the saw, replace the stock blade with a good one, and you'll be fine." 

I then visit the store for a reality check.  Object of my desires is army green, steel and cast iron retro.  Also some plastic - but hey, it's the space age now, no longer the long march.  I try "hands-on," which doesn't mean I actually use it to saw.  I mostly do idiot things, like turn a knob and make the blade guide go up and down.  But I am curious about how the blade rides on the guides.  So I push the guide sideways with my index finger - and am surprised how easily the whole assembly displaces, apparently because the sturdy metal guide holder is mounted in a piece of non-rigid plastic.  

DOH! (enlightenment in reverse)   The guy talking about proper "set-up" must have been full of hot air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment