Thursday, December 19, 2013

how John Denver came to the Uniontown Laundromat (MySpace 11/23/2008)


Subject how John Denver came to the Uniontown Laundromat
DateCreated 11/23/2008 6:40:00 PM
PostedDate 11/24/2008 2:30:00 AM
Body I used to do my wash at the Uniontown Laundromat, near City Hall and the ball park, and close-by the freeway.  Arcata is one third the way between San Francisco and Portland, and we get our share of travelers.

One day, in walked a small young Asian woman carrying an art portfolio. She was peddling tacky foil-art.  Her English was imperfect but serviceable. First she tried the owner-attendant, and then she walked over to me.

No, I didn't want to buy some foil-art.

Where are you from?  "Russia"

(...jeez, this could be interesting)

What part of Russia?  "Uzbekistan"

(...that's a stretch, but she doesn't look Uzbek)

What is your "nationality"?  "Korean"

A Korean from Uzbekistan?  "My parents came to work in the oil industry"

(...an idea)

Do you have a "teacher"?  "Yes"

(bingo!)

What is his name?  "Reverend Moon.  Do you know about him?"

Yes. But no, I didn't want to buy some foil-art.  I wished her luck in her endeavors.  She returned to the attendant, and asked if she could sing a song.

Sure.

With conviction and a heavy accent, she belted out... "Take Me Home, Country Road".

And then she left.  Like I said, we get our share of travelers.

No comments:

Post a Comment