Thursday, December 19, 2013

Do I really need to blog? (MySpace 1/10/2008)

Do I really need to blog?
Subject Do I really need to blog?
DateCreated 1/8/2008 3:24:00 PM
PostedDate 1/10/2008 10:59:00 AM
Body The blog facility is one of the parts of MySpace that I haven't tried.  Seems like a handy way to add miscellany without cluttering the profile, and while still keeping within the MySpace notification system.   (I have two external pages linked to the profile.)

One major thing lurks in the background - the ephemeral aspects of this MySpace phenomenon.  We're not paying for this service - my profile could disappear overnight.  Gotta keep that in mind.

The name "blog" seems funny to me.  Personal logs or diarys go back to the beginnings of the public web, to 1994 or earlier, long before the term "blog" appeared.  Back then, all you needed was a basic knowledge of HTML, and someone to host your pages for you.  You didn't even need a domain name.  If what you were writing was considered noteworthy, the word would get out, and people would find you.  Hardly anyone kept these logs - now, everyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment